The MTIA is dedicated to being the premier forum in Missouri in which all telecommunications companies in the state are able to:
- Gain a better understanding of both industry and public policy issues;
- Build consensus on public policy when appropriate;
- Communicate collectively with state regulators, legislators, and other stakeholder groups when appropriate;
- Foster mutually beneficial business relationships;
- Promote greater public understanding of the industry; and
- Provide education and training opportunities for the professional development of industry employees.
Founded as the Missouri Telephone Association in 1913, MTIA reflects the value and success of providing a forum for discussion and cooperation among all companies on issues affecting Missouri’s telecommunications industry. In addition to the work of the association’s various committees, MTIA sponsors seminars, workshops and meetings to educate members on critical industry issues, showcase emerging technology and provide professional training opportunities.
The association monitors the activities of several state regulatory agencies as well as the Missouri General Assembly, federal agencies and Congress, serving as the industry’s primary liaison in the state. Manager’s Memo, issued electronically at the close of business each Friday, keeps members up to date on legislative and regulatory developments, industry news and association events.
Our membership is open to all of Missouri’s incumbent local exchange carriers, competitive local exchange carriers, wireless providers, interexchange carriers, and broadband network providers (Category I / Category II). In addition, we have more than 100 Category III member companies that provide goods and services to the industry.
The not-for-profit trade association is governed by an eighteen-member board of directors elected from among member companies. The organization is managed by a professional staff directed by Richard Telthorst, CAE, President & Chief Executive Officer.